Blue Haven Illawarra has around 70 volunteers in a range of roles. With National Volunteer Week coming up from 16-22 May this year, we’re celebrating our volunteers and recruiting for more.
Did you know that volunteering is one of the best things you can do for your own wellbeing? Studies show that there are many benefits to volunteering in aged care.
Becoming a Blue Haven volunteer is an amazing way to enrich the lives of others and give back to the community.
Blue Haven volunteering roles may include:
- Supporting structured activities within the community hall at Blue Haven Bonaira
- Preparing morning tea and lunch
- Spending time with residents and clients for social interaction
- Transport to (non-urgent medical) appointments, social group events, and/ or shopping trips
- Taking clients out and about and/or providing a break for carers
- Basic support with IT, such as using an iPad
- Social groups, floor assistants
Without our valued volunteers, we simply could not provide the range of care available, at the highest standards possible.
Volunteers also make a huge contribution to our local community in Kiama, and beyond. Here’s some more detail on the benefits to volunteering:
- Improve your wellbeing: Multiple studies show volunteering can help boost your mood and ease stress. In fact, research has proven that those who regularly volunteer get an extra dose of the “feel good” neurotransmitter oxytocin (link study Helping hands, healthy body? Oxytocin receptor gene and prosocial behavior interact to buffer the association between stress and physical health – ScienceDirect).
- Broaden your perspective: It can be easy to get caught up with the everyday worries of life. Volunteering is a way to put things into perspective about what is really important and can instill a sense of gratitude for the things that matter most.
- Make a difference in the lives of those you help: It can be satisfying to know you are making a positive difference in others lives. Connecting with someone from another generation can give you an entirely new outlook from those that come from all different walks of life.
- Put your skills to good use: Do you have a driver’s licence? Do you enjoy running activities? Are you a good listener? Put your knowledge and abilities to good use–volunteer recruiters look for these types of attributes and more. Develop a sense of satisfaction you are using your talents to help others.
- Make connections in the community: Volunteering can expand your horizons and help you make new friends from your local community. Connecting with others can give you a sense of purpose and find common ground with other locals.
Sign up to volunteer now with Blue Haven’s Service Facilitator
- Fill in our volunteer application form: bluehavenillawarra.com.au/about-us/volunteering or scan the QR code below
- Email the completed form to firstname.lastname@example.org or call us (02) 4203 4055
- Our Service Facilitator will be in touch with you
6th May 2022